Monday, March 12, 2007

I guess I missed something

Someone once told me that an opinion can't be wrong, so here is mine.

When my wife told me that "The Departed" was nominated for a slew of Oscars, I sarcastically said, "sure". We left it at that. Now comes the Academy Awards night. "The Departed" won the following:

Best Achievement in Editing
Best Achievement in Directing
Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay
Best Motion Picture of the Year

I said "wow" isn't that something. Now I can tell my daughter all she has to do is learn to swear "real good", and you can make millions of dollars and receive an award as well.

The following are comments by the critics:

Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon... Martin Scorsese's blistering thriller goes beyond the A-list.

The Departed is Scorsese's most purely enjoyable movie in years.

Scorsese's sharpest film in a decade and the most entertaining major studio release this year.

Strong dialogue, intrigue and great music. Top notch acting, crisp direction and editing. Unfortunately, a contrived love triangle & climax greatly compromise the integrity.

Only a cinematic master like Martin Scorsese can take a complex character-driven drama and turn it into a grandiose masterpiece.

Enjoyable movie. Grandiose masterpiece. I like Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon. I saw the movie but I must have missed something. Call me a prude, but in my opinion, and remember opinions can't be wrong, this movie should have been in the trashcan. I could have left the movie theater instead of sitting through more than 2 hours of vulgarity, but didn't. Hell, oops, I paid seven dollars to see the movie and beside I wasn't finished with my popcorn yet. I was told, "that's the way life is today, it's realism". I said, "isn't that true".

No comments: